So, what exactly is pelvic floor physical therapy?
Women who have given birth to one or more children know firsthand the meaning of the term pelvic floor. For the rest of us, it is often a term we only hear after being diagnosed with a bladder, bowel or sexual dysfunctions.
The physical therapists at Owens Physical Therapy Specialists specialize in therapy designed to eliminate pain and restore function to your pelvic floor muscles.
The pelvic floor is a group of muscles that hold up organs including your bladder, rectum and uterus. Pelvic floor physical therapy focuses on repairing and strengthening muscles weakened due to giving birth or as the result of a bladder, bowel or sexual dysfunctions.
Similar to pain or lack of function due to a sore shoulder muscles, you can have a problem with your pelvic floor muscles and nerves. Muscles can be too tight or too weak, scarring can be present from surgeries or childbirth, with nerves being affected as well. Any of these issues can cause pelvic pain, sexual discomfort or problems with your bladder or bowel.
What can pelvic floor physical therapy do for you?
- Reduce pelvic pain from irritated skin, muscles or nerves
- Eliminate pain with sexual activity
- Stop bladder leaking with athletic and daily activity
- Eliminate need to be in close proximity to a bathroom at all times
- Reduce multiple night-time visits to the bathroom
- Strengthen pelvic floor muscles to keep your organs supported
- Fix diastasis recti (aka mummy tummy or baby belly)
- Reduce scarring from tearing during birth or from endometriosis
- Make sure your pelvic floor is still working well post-pregnancy or surgery
You do not need to live with these issues! Just because you and people you know may be experiencing these problems does not mean that it is normal. Our pelvic floor physical therapists can help you live life with healthier and pain free bladder, bowel and sexual functions.
“I’ve been a patient of Owens PT specialists on and off for the last six years (getting old is no fun!). The friendly atmosphere of their office, personal attention and concern for my well being even after treatment is unmatched. Thanks Owens Physical Therapy Specialists!”